Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
This week “healthy” obese still have more heart attacks, the EPA hates science, and imports get caught in massive organic fraud.
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
- A Strong Case Against a Pesticide Does Not Faze E.P.A. Under Trump – This is infuriating. Is there anything more reprehensible than poisoning children for money? (NY Times)
- Why Everything We Know About Salt May NOT Be Wrong – A wonderful balancing perspective from Dr. David Katz about the latest data on salt. (HuffPost)
- ‘Healthy’ obese people still at higher risk of cardiovascular disease events than general population – The science about whether you can be “just as healthy” when carrying extra weight is still very dicey and you can find studies to back whatever you believe (I bet it depends a lot on the individual, so large group studies will always be hard to interpret). One thing to keep in mind is that diabetes and heart disease are not the only diseases linked to overweight. All you can do is your best, but definitely try to do that. (ScienceDaily)
- You Can Take Steps to Lower Your Breast Cancer Risk – Case in point. My mind was blown in college when I took a class on cancer and learned what a massive impact lifestyle has on your risk of cancer. Don’t smoke, watch your alcohol, don’t be overweight, eat your veggies, exercise. It matters a lot, and not just for vanity reasons. (NY Times)
- The labels said ‘organic.’ But these massive imports of corn and soybeans weren’t. – Excellent reporting by The Post. This bums me out, because for domestic foods the USDA Certified Organic label is pretty reliable. With imports, not so much. (Washington Post)
- This Is Where Body Fat Ends Up When You Lose Weight – Do you know where fat goes when you “burn” it? (ScienceAlert)
- A Whistle-Blower Tells of Health Insurers Bilking Medicare – In case you had any inkling that insurance companies liked and cared about you, they don’t. Oh, and your tax dollars have been going to line their pockets. Ugh. (NY Times)
- Lifting your spirits doesn’t require many reps – One of the greatest benefits of exercise IMO. (ScienceDaily)
- What fruits and vegetables do Americans eat? More charts from USDA – It’s like oppositeland from my house. (Food Politics)
- CURRIED CAULIFLOWER RICE + CHICKPEA SAUTE – Easy and delicious. (Sprouted Kitchen)
What inspired you this week?