Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week how to overcome procrastination, a victory for GMO labels, and why you shouldn’t work before 10am.
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app I just discovered to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
- The Evolution of Anxiety: Why We Worry and What to Do About It <<Anxiety is certainly a bummer, but this article is more about how to focus on and accomplish what is important. A great read. (James Clear)
- The Healthiest People In The World Eat A Lot Of Carbs <<With this headline I expected this article to go in one of two directions: nuanced science or vegan propaganda. I was pleasantly surprised. (Huffington Post)
- In defence of genetically modified food <<Speaking of nuance, I’m happy to see that we’re (just barely) starting to move beyond good vs evil in the GMO talk. In other news I just learned that Canadians and Brits spell defense with a “c”. (Macleans)
- GMO labeling: it’s happening! <<Previous statement aside, I’m still a big fan of transparency and labelling. Thank you, Vermont. (Food Politics)
- Shannon’s Method: Overcome Habit Procrastination <<You know this is important but you’re just so tired, why not just start fresh tomorrow? Here’s a great reason. (Zen Habits)
- Less Than 3 Percent of Americans Live a Healthy Lifestyle <<I’m sorry, what?! You guys, stop what you’re doing and go tell 10 people you know about Summer Tomato. The nation needs you. (Medline)
- 6 Surprising Lessons from Having Gestational Diabetes <<Great insights even if you don’t happen to be pregnant (or even female). Note that quantity and speed matter big time. (Stone Soup)
- Blown Away By How Much Ultra-Processed Food North Americans Eat <<Ultra-processed foods are where I draw the line. I don’t touch them (willpower not required), but apparently I’m a rare egg. (Weighty Matters)
- 7 Game-Changing Things We’ve Learned About Sleep This Past Year <<Your work day should start at 10am? This article is a tad sensational, but still fascinating stuff worth exploring. (Huffington Post)
- Phat Phrik Khing: Smash Your Way to a Spectacular Dry-Style Thai Curry <<Making Thai food from scratch may sound intimidating, but if you have access to the ingredients it is a fabulous way to empower yourself in the kitchen. It really isn’t that hard, and what you create will destroy any take out you’ve eaten in your entire life. (Serious Eats)
What inspired you this week?