Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
This week losing weight is harder with age, performance enhancing sandwiches, and pesticides in your drinking water.
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
Links of the week
- The Hippies Have Won < When I was a hardcore libertarian in college I would have never guessed a headline like this would make me smile, but now it couldn’t make me happier. The hippies know how to eat, my friends. There’s some great Real Food resources in this article too. (NY Times)
- Will Trump Revive COOL and Make American Meat Great Again? < If you aren’t familiar with the Country Of Origin Label requirements this is a decent primer. If you care about transparency and knowing where your food is coming from, you should support stricter COOL regulations. It’s not like “country” is super specific, it’s the least they could tell us. (Civil Eats)
- Why Deep Breathing May Keep Us Calm < Fascinating new research about the neurons that regulate breath has shown that stopping an anxious breathing pattern has the power to cool anxiety. This may be one of the mechanisms by which meditation works to keep you zen. (NY Times)
- Is It Harder to Lose Weight When You’re Older? < Hormones make it harder to maintain your muscle mass, which controls how much energy you burn. Keep hitting the weights at the gym to offset the clock. (NY Times)
- Should you walk or run for exercise? Here’s what the science says. < Can you guess what I would say? (Vox)
- Turning Negative Thinkers Into Positive Ones < This is a life skill you can develop. (NY Times)
- The NBA’s Secret Addiction < LOL performance enhancing sandwiches. While I’m sure there’s a massive placebo effect going on here, I have no doubt that for large athletic men doing intense exercise for several hours these work as a great source of fuel. Bonus points for the teams that insist on organic. (ESPN)
- First evidence found of popular farm pesticides in drinking water < In case you were starting to question why the EPA is important. It’s for stuff like this. (Washington Post)
- SPRING LENTIL + QUINOA PILAF < This looks so springy and delicious. I can’t wait for green garlic to show up at the market. (The Year in Food)
What inspired you this week?