Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week probiotics not always helpful, understanding your metabolism, and how to reverse muscle loss with age.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
I also share links on Twitter @summertomato and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
Links of the week
- What I learned about weight loss from spending a day inside a metabolic chamber – Worried that your metabolism is slow? Great explanation of how accurate metabolic rate is measured and what impacts it. (Vox)
- Preventing Muscle Loss as We Age – One of the most important things you can do to increase your length and quality of life. (NY Times)
- Probiotics ‘not as beneficial for gut health as previously thought’ – I would have said “more complex” than previously thought. Interesting new data here. (The Guardian)
- The Rise of the Zombie Small Businesses – A must read if you eat chicken regularly. (The Atlantic)
- Airport Security Trays Carry More Cold Germs Than Toilets, Study Finds – Eeeeewwwww. Wash your hands, folks. (NY Times)
- Quickly assessing the credibility of public experts – Not a bad guide. (Stephan Guyenet)
- Is Getting ‘Hangry’ Actually a Thing? – I think you and I both know the answer to this. (WSJ)
- Our Crisis of Heart – Wise words as always from Jack Kornfield. (Medium)
- The Bugs Are Coming, and They’ll Want More of Our Food – Awesome. (Not really). (NY Times)
- RICE NOODLES WITH NUOC CHAM, HERBS, & CRISPY TOFU – This looks like a keeper. (Alexandra’s Kitchen)
What inspired you this week?