Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Quick announcement: I’ll be at the Fireside conference Sept 6-9 in Canada, and doing a live podcast on stage with the venerable Yoni Freedhoff. Would love to see you there!
Short list this week. Your spit helps you quit picky eating, breakfast boosts carb burning, and water doesn’t help with weight loss.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
Links of the week
- How Much of an Herbicide Is Safe in Your Cereal? – Nice review of the state of the glyphosate debate by The Atlantic.
- Your Spit Might Help You Learn to Eat Your Greens – Some biology behind how to become a less picky eater. It happens quickly! (NY Times)
- Eating breakfast burns more carbs during exercise and accelerates metabolism for next meal – Eating breakfast can influence your metabolism during a subsequent workout. Not too surprising, but interesting. (ScienceDaily)
- 10 Simple Habits of People Who’ve Lost Weight And Have Actually Kept It Off – Habits y’all. (ScienceAlert)
- Stretching Plays a Surprisingly Important Role in Weight Loss And Exercise. Here’s How – Stretching is a much misunderstood activity. (ScienceAlert)
- Two New Studies Pour Cold Water On Water’s Role In Weight Management – Not sure how the “water helps with weight loss” rumor got started, but you can put it to rest. Water is wonderful for lots of other reasons, but weight loss isn’t one of them. (Weighty Matters)
- Want to live a longer life? Research says you should do these five things. – It’s really not so complicated. (Washington Post)
- PEANUT BUTTER BANANA OATMEAL CUPS – Speaking of breakfast, these look tasty and convenient. (Sprouted Kitchen)
What inspired you this week?